Monday, February 1, 2016

Healthy Black Bean Fudge


I am a sucker for fudge!  This past summer we went to Bear Lake, Idaho and wandered into an adorable little shop that sold FUDGE.  I bought a sampler so I could try a bunch of flavors and totally bought m&ms for the kids so I didn't have to share fudge with them!  I don't make fudge often at home because I'll eat it all.  ALL OF IT.  

Chocolate is my friend and when I'm eating healthy I totally miss ooey gooey unhealthy chocolate.  This healthy black bean fudge does not taste like amazingly fattening fudge, but it satisfies a chocolate craving when you're on a healthy diet and need to have the "good for you" stuff instead of the "good" stuff.  My husband came into the kitchen when he heard the blender and after I poured the fudge in the pan we ate the rest right out of the blender.  He was like, "Are you sure this isn't against my diet?" and my kids even ate some, so I can say it's a pretty good healthy substitute for fudge. 

-You can add more sugar if you'd like to sweeten it a bit more.  You can omit the 1/4 cup sugar if you want sugar free, but it tastes very dark without it.  The dates sweeten it very slightly, but not enough for my taste buds.

-I make this fudge in my high powered blender (vitamix), but you can make it in a regular blender or food processor.

-Black bean puree can be made in large batches and frozen in smaller portions to use in recipes like this one.

-If you have a vitamix or similar blender you can start with whole almonds and coconut oil to make your own almond butter and then add the other fudge ingredients into the blender once the almond butter is nice and creamy.

Black Bean Fudge

1 1/2 c. black bean puree 
1/2 c. cocoa
1/2 c. almond butter
2 T coconut oil 
1/2 c. pitted dates
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 c. sugar
dash of salt

Mix all ingredients in a blender or food processor.  Pour into a loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray.  Refrigerate until set.  Cut into slices.  Freezes well.  Store in the fridge.

No comments: