Thursday, November 7, 2013

November?


This blog has been neglected for so long I almost forgot about it... almost.  There is always something to do that seems more important at the time, but really I've just been avoiding it.  Surrounded by a living room full of vintage merchandise needing to be sorted and priced and dishes waiting to be done I decided to force myself to sit down and write.  The last 6 months of my life have been a mess of ups and downs... probably more downs than ups, but I'm working on that.

Going right from the wedding chaos in May to having extra kids for the summer to Eric losing his job the very day after he took his boys back to Oregon threw me into a tailspin.  I have been working more than full time for the last several months and I'm just now, over the last couple of weeks, trying to put my family first and let Eric worry about the income part of our family.  He's back to work again and I am still working, but I've cut it down to 20-30 hours a week.  It's been hard to cut back since I own my own business, but I've had to just put my foot down and make my family come first.  If it was up to me I'd only work 5 hours a week, but it is what it is.  The business is going well, but it's very tiring.  Some days I just want to hole up and not talk to anyone!

My house is slowly being put back together after the months of chaos and I hope to share pictures of my adorable kitchen soon... and then hopefully other rooms will follow.  I've been keeping my living room and kitchen cleaned and organized for the most part (except when a new load comes in) and it's made a big difference in how I feel at home.  I love organization!

We picked up a second vintage camper.  His name is Miles and he's filled with vintage Christmas items for the holiday season.  I've made-over the inside of Miles, but he's still waiting for his outside paint job.  After Christmas I'm hoping to turn Miles into my craft room.  My bedroom is just not big enough for two people, so my craft room will become part of the bedroom, housing our dressers, clothing and my vanity.  I'm tired of feeling so cramped.

I'm emotionally drained most of the time.  Marriage is such hard work.  It's always so much easier to be single, but I know being married is the way the Lord intends for a family to be and it is worth it.  My kids are all going through teenager trials and it's aging me faster than I care to admit.  Eric wants a baby so bad and it just makes me laugh... There is no way I'm up for that!  Having a new husband and three teens is enough work!

After months of not sleeping well I've finally started sleeping again and I believe that is the first step to feeling happy!  I love sleep!  This year has been a really rough one.  I'm taking all the steps I can to get our family back on track before January first so we can get back to whatever normal is for us.  I've started back onto my cash budget system just this week and I have my coupon binder half-way organized.  It will be all the way organized by the weekend.  I've let both of those slip for the last few months.  I'm going to get my food storage room organized again so I can start building up the storage we've been depleting.

I'm trying to get myself on a schedule so I have a morning each week set aside for blogging.  I miss it!  I miss sharing things and getting to know my wonderful blogging friends!  I feel so bad every time I post a dinner or craft I've made on facebook and someone asks me to share how I did it knowing full well my blog is being neglected.  There is no point to having talents if you don't share them!

I'm going to be posting information tomorrow about a holiday blog swap!  I have missed blog swaps and I hope we can get a lot of participation.  I'm also going to be posting some guest blog posts and some holiday recipes and ideas soon.  I need to start feeling like myself again and part of that is The American Homemaker blog.  The vintage selling part of my business has become so full time I haven't had time for the rest... Balance will be found!

Starting Monday I'm going to be posting a vintage recipe or household tip daily on The American Homemaker's facebook page... I have so many fun vintage cookbooks and I'm looking forward to sharing the fabulous fun!  If you follow AmericanHomemaker on instagram I'll be showing off a vintage treasure daily!  So many fabulous vintage items find their way in and out of my house these days I'm excited to share them!

I love you all!  Please let me know what you'd like to see on the blog/facebook page/instagram!  I aim to please ;)

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love the new look on the blog, very pretty. It totally matches Millie and Miles! I feel you on the disorganization and clutter - I'm going through a massive "phase" of disorganization myself and really need to get the house cleaned and organized. It really does make a difference.

I'm looking forward to seeing lots of vintage recipes. They're my favorites!

Anne Alagna said...

I love the updated look!

Angie Farmer said...

Thanks ladies! I love it too!