Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Caramel Apple Pie


Not to brag, but I'm pretty dang sure I make the best apple pie!  Now I've found a way to make it even better!  Caramel!

I use the little square wrapped caramels, but you can totally make and use homemade caramels if you're really feeling ambitious!  I'm including my recipes for my apple pie filling, which is the only way I'll do apple pie, and homemade caramels at the end of the post.

Caramel Apple Pie

1 qt apple pie filling
about 12 caramels
graham cracker crust

Isn't this cool?
topping:
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. oats
1/4 c. butter, melted

Pour the pie filling into the graham cracker crust. Place about 12 unwrapped caramels on top of the pie filling as evenly as you can get them.  Mix topping ingredients well and sprinkle over the top of filling. Bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes until golden and delightful.


a little peak at my Thanksgiving table

Happy Thanksgiving!

Apple Pie Filling

Per Pie:
5 apples, cored, peeled and sliced thick
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. corn starch
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 c. water
3/4 c. apple juice
2 TBSP lemon juice

Boil all ingredients until desired thickness. I barely let mine reach a full boil.  Canning directions are here if you want to make the pie filling in bulk.

Caramels

1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
2 c. sugar
1 c. butter
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 c. light corn syrup

Cook and stir all ingredients in a heavy pan over medium-high heat until the mixture starts to boil. Stir constantly using a heat-proof rubber spatula scraping the sides and bottom the whole time.  I've found this is the trick to smooth, pretty caramels.

You must use a spatula and scrape constantly! Once the mixture starts to boil turn the heat to medium. Cook and stir and scrape without stopping until the mixture reaches 230-240 (depending on how soft/firm you want your caramels). I pull mine off the heat at 230, but I like really soft caramels. At 240, they're still soft, but a little more like the square caramels you buy in the store. Remove from stove and add 1 tsp vanilla. Pour into a buttered 9x13 pan and cool until the next day. I like to use 2 square pans instead of a 9x13.  Cut them into small pieces and wrap individually in wax paper.

1 comment:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

That's a beautiful tablescape.
Hope your meal was delicious!